GCSE Spanish

Qualification: GCSE

Examining board: AQA

Course specification:

GCSE Spanish

Course leader: Ms Herreros

Years taught: 9, 10, 11

What will I be doing on this course?

In GCSE Spanish you will be develop your Spanish language skills in a variety of contexts and gain a broad understanding of the culture of the countries and communities where Spanish is spoken.

The course encourages enjoyment of language learning and the recognition that language skills enable students to take their place in a multi-lingual, global society.

Units covered

The course is split into unit that cover speaking, listening, reading and writing.

All four units are put into context by studying subjects of Lifestyle, Leisure, Home and Environment and Work and Education both at home and in the cultures and communities where Spanish is spoken.

How this course is assessed

Controlled assessments account for 60% of the course (Speaking and Writing). The remaining 40% of the course marks come from exams covering Listening and Reading (20% each).

If you like this subject, why not consider...

GCSE English Language

Progression/future opportunities

By studying GCSE Spanish you become a self-reliant and adaptable person who can write and think under pressure, meet deadlines and communicate and work creatively with others. Such people are very valued by employers in many sectors of the employment market.

Languages can help you forge a career in banking and finance; law; engineering; sales and marketing; transport, tourism and leisure; teaching; translating and interpreting; and computing. On top of this, there are the countless opportunities to travel and work abroad!

Taking GCSE Spanish is an excellent progression route to more advanced qualifications such as A Level Spanish but can also assist with your study of any new language as well as English. Beyond Key Stage 5 you can study Spanish at Higher Education either as a solo subject or in combination with other subjects such as a BA degree in Economics with Spanish.