Examining board: Pearson
BTEC Applied Science Course Specification
Course leader: Mrs Smith
Years taught: 12 and 13
About this course
Science offers students the chance to concentrate on some of the vocational aspects of Science. As well as being ideal for students seeking a broad background in Science, it also suits those entering this vocational area for the first time.
In this course, students will learn
- understanding of the Science that affects nearly every aspect of our lives
- the ability to plan, work and think independently through portfolio work written communication skills
- the ability to apply knowledge and skills in appropriate vocational contexts
- practical skills, including the ability to plan, carry out and evaluate investigative work
- analytical and synoptic skills
The Applied Science Extended Certificate (depending on the grade achieved) should suitably prepare students for a range of vocational science degrees (e.g. midwifery, physiotherapy etc) as opposed to the pure science degrees (Biololgy, Chemistry, Physics, Medicine etc).
This will also be dependent on the other subjects a student takes.